Thursday, March 5, 2009

Lindt Lindor Milk and White Chocolate Truffles

The Lindt company claims to be a “master Swiss chocolatier since 1845” The package boasts their “meticulous craftsmanship.” Now, I’ve never paid attention to their spherical truffles, but I got ahold of two in the Valentine’s Day chocolate craze. One was milk, one was white. They were certainly packaged attractively. Once out of the wrapper, they were smooth and shiny with a seam going around the center like the equator on a globe. Or the Prime Meridian, depending upon how you look at it. The candy measured one inch in all directions, and it was so temptingly round that I gave in to my desire to roll it about on the tabletop before taking the first bite.
So how were they? Let’s start with the milk chocolate one, noticeably inferior to the white. It was quite fragrant (I always smell my chocolates, it’s one of my quirks) and I was eager as I bit through the thick shell. I let the chocolate shell melt into a layer of sweetness settled on my tongue. It was certainly very sweet, maybe a little too much so, and grainy rather than creamy. I carved out some of the filling with my pinkie nail and tasted that. Wow, amazing texture, but the chocolate was just too sweet. Maybe it was amplified by the silky smooth creaminess, but this was almost sickening if you took too large of a bite. It would have been divine if the chocolate were dark.
Rating: 5 out of 10
Now for the white. Since white chocolate is even sweeter than milk, I was expecting myself to be overwhelmed by a tidal wave of sugar when my taste buds took a hit of the creamy outer shell. But no, this white chocolate was pleasantly muted. And the creamy texture of the filling was complimented nicely rather than arrogantly. The entire thing was a delicious indulgence that had me satisfied for the rest of the day.
Rating: 8 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you tried this candy? Do you want to try it? Do you agree with me? Disagree? Let me know!