Thursday, March 5, 2009

A Fond Memory: Harry and David Chocolate Enrobed Cherries and Blueberries

A while back, my grandpa bought a box of chocolate covered fruits from Harry & David, the makers of one of my favorite snacks, Moose Munch. Oh, make that chocolate enrobed fruits. Sounds frivolous, but these gems are well deserving of even the fancy-schmanciest of titles.
Let’s start with the cherries. These were so good that I ate two in one sitting, and they’re pretty darn big; about one inch by one inch in diameter. They take a nice big cherry and shrivel it up into a sweet chewy wad, then enrobe it with a generous amount of chocolate. No skimping here! On top of that is a light pink layer of some sort of sweet sugar coating. I’m not really sure what it is, but it sure tastes great! Then there is a thin little coating of vibrant red that doesn’t add to the texture, but gives it a lovely bright color. I love the way you can taste all the layers as your teeth sink into the treat. The milk chocolate paired with the creamy pink stuff creates a delicious milky exterior that complements the chewy cherry perfectly. Why do I keep referring to the cherry as “chewy?” Well, because it just was. It had a striking tang that kept the candy from being over-sweet, and I’m proud to give these a rating of
10 out of 10

Now for the blueberries. I don’t think I can ever describe how undeniably scrumptious these were. They didn’t have nearly as much chocolate as the cherries, probably because they were only about one-third of the size. I don’t recall any of the mystery pink substance being added here, but it did have that thin outer coat, this time colored a muted pastelle-baby blue. These were tiny little buggers, about the size of a Skittle, but rounder; almost a perfect sphere. I usually eat my candy in small nibbles, but I found that popping one into my mouth was the best way to enjoy these.
And when I popped my first berry... boy, was I surprised.
I have never ever had a blueberry before, much less one dried and covered in chocolate. I was missing out. Biting into the blueberry, I actually physically wiggled a little bit in my chair, it tasted so good. The blueberry was irresistibly tangy and tart. The chocolate sweetened it up so it didn’t taste bitter. I really can’t explain it well enough that you would be itching to dash to the store and buy a box, but I can tell you that you should do so, it is well worth it.
Ghiradelli can move over. I’ve got a new favorite candy.

10 out of 10

UPDATE: I saw that Jelly Belly is producing candies very similar to these. It was six dollars for a bag of their blueberries, though, so I didn't try them when I saw them.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you tried this candy? Do you want to try it? Do you agree with me? Disagree? Let me know!